Saturday, July 16, 2011

Home is Where the Heart Is

But what happens when your heart is in two places? Does it mean that you have two homes, or that you don't have one at all? The most difficult question that people often ask me is where do I like it better? In Italy or in the U.S? How can I possibly answer that? The truth is that it is a constant struggle for me. I have accepted the fact that I am and will always be eternally homesick. No matter where I am, no matter what I do, I will always miss my home. Of course I did my growing up in California and my family is there and therefore that is always be my home. 25 years of memories, both good and bad, but always still my home.
Florence on the other hand is where I became a women. Really understood who I am and where I come from and what I am willing to and not willing to do. Some of the best years of my life have been spent here and of course I have also met my soul mate and we have created a home together.
I also find it interesting that when speaking about a trip to California I will always say that I am going 'home' yet, when I return to Florence I will also say that I am going 'home'. But after being in California for a while I begin to miss Florence and when in Florence, I inevitably miss California and at times will feel an overwhelming need to go 'home'.
So what is it that makes a home a home? I guess that's different for every body but for me it's so much more than having the most comfortable bed in the world (seriously, love my bed) or your clothes hanging in the closet, it's about being comfortable and where you feel loved. So I guess I would say that I'm pretty lucky and that it is possible to have two homes. The goodbyes are always hard but they make the hellos so much sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I always look forward to hearing from my reader! It will just take a second and I will get your comment posted!

Don't be Shy! Share!